American Association Winter Baseball Update
Mexicali Aguilas LHP Edgar Osuna (Winnipeg ’13) has had a superb start to the 2013 winter baseball season, picking up his league-leading seventh victory of the season after limiting Culiacan to a run on three hits in five and one-third innings of work Friday evening. The native of Mazatlan, Mexico, has a 1.92 ERA in 10 starts, limiting opposing hitters to a .206 average.
Other highlights from around winter baseball:
– Perth’s Brandon Tripp (St. Paul 2011, 2013) is second in the ABL with 13 RBI, tied for second with six doubles, and third with a .343 average.
– Sean Toler (Kansas City 2012-2013) is third in the league with three saves for Canberra.
Puerto Rican League
– John Brownell (Grand Prairie 2011-12) leads the league with a 1.80 ERA to go along with a 2-1 record for Caguas.
– Gabriel Garcia (Grand Prairie 2013) has been dominant out of the bullpen, allowing just one earned run in 18 appearances for Magallanes, limiting opposing hitters to a .162 average.
– Jairo Perez (Wichita 2012, Grand Prairie 2012, Kansas City 2013) is hitting .308 with 21 RBI, 8 doubles and 21 runs scored for Lara.
– C.J. Retherford (Fargo-Moorhead 2011, 2013) is second for La Guaira with 8 home runs, along with 32 RBI and a .295 average.
– Richard Salazar (Wichita 2008-09, Shreveport 2009-11, Sioux City 2011-13) has been a workhorse out of the bullpen for Anzoategui, appearing in 21 games with a 3.42 ERA.
Photo: Courtesy Winnipeg Goldeyes.